Friday, May 2, 2014

Interviews and Pics from 'Tarzan' Dublin Press Junket (April 24, 2014)

Update: 3 New Press Interviews from Dublin
If video doesn't work, watch at the source NME

Independent Kellan Lutz has revealed he had to change Tarzan's famous cry for his new movie as the original call is trademarked.
The Twilight hunk plays the king of the jungle in a new motion capture animation of the film. But the 29-year-old could not re-enact the primal cry made famous in original Tarzan movies starring Johnny Weissmuller as the rights are owned by the estate of Tarzan creator Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Kellan said: "Everyone knows the Tarzan cry, but what I didn't know was that we weren't going to be doing it the same because it's trademarked. So we had to change it a little bit.

"So for about a month and a half of shooting we didn't have the specific cry nailed down. And then on one of the last days they finally perfected the one that they wanted and they were like, 'here this is what it is, listen to it.' And then I only did it one time that I did it. And I don't remember it. It's very similar, but we couldn't do it just the same."

The Hollywood heartthrob also admitted he ended up aching after learning to walk and run on all-fours like an ape.

Kellan admitted: "I didn't realise how difficult it was gonna be. I went to the zoo and studied the movements of apes and chimpanzees, studied the vocal calls they have, their language.

"Every animal walks in a distinct different way. Humans we lead by our chin or our stomach or our chest, we pull out from the heels, push off with our toes.

And Tarzan is such a flexible, athletic... he's a bit of a ballerina in that sense because he's so graceful. So I had to change my walking movement to more like boxer stance, where you're always on your toes ready to pounce, ready for action.

"I loved it but I've never been more sore, especially running on all fours I'm not super flexible, I should have done more yoga growing up!"

Tarzan is released in cinemas on Friday May 2.

Movies.ie Fashion Model, Vampire, Lord Of The Jungle... just three titles that might cover the career of actor Kellan Lutz. The chisel jawed model became hot property when he played Emmett Cullen in the Twilight saga. This summer he rubs shoulders with Sylvester Stallone and company in THE EXPENDABLES 3 and this month he appears in a new version of TARZAN. The actor was in Dublin last month for the premiere of the new motion capture animation. Movies.ie went swinging with him afterwards.

You're no stranger to playing a beloved literary character, did you feel a different sense of responsibility with TARZAN than you did on TWILIGHT?
Kellan Lutz: Not necessarily a responsibility, because that's how I live my day to day life. I am very much a professional and I do my homework. I show up on time and I am well prepared. I do the best of my ability in portraying and honouring these characters. I want to honour them, much like any character I play. Most importantly, I was hired because of what I did, and I just wanted to make it my own.

What was the attraction of playing an iconic character like Tarzan?
KL: I love Tarzan. Growing up and as a little boy, I think every kid wished he was Tarzan; he's raised by apes and to just be that kid in the jungle. Going after this film, I did whatever I could; you take your meetings, you audition... I wore my underwear with a wig and Reinhard [Klooss], our director, loved what I did.

This version of TARZAN adds new elements to the classic story, this time around Tarzan has to protect his jungle home from a new threat in the shape of a corporation looking for a new source of energy, was this part of the draw for you?
KL: I am very much an environmental activist; I work with a lot of charities to protect the rainforest and to stop the poaching of the tigers and apes, and just really trying to save our Earth. We are blessed to have these creatures and we are responsible for them. I wondered how we were going to make [the film] unique, make it different because the story of Tarzan has been told time and time again, and there was the Disney version already that was animated. When I read the script and saw how passionate Reinhard was, and seeing where he wanted to go with the story - protecting the jungle - it felt like home. I am passionate about the character, I am passionate about what the cause is and the story that is being told, and the effect it will have on kids and adults in the audience. It's very modern and contemporary, and relative to the times that we live in.

The Dublin premiere of TARZAN is in aid of Ape Action Africa, why did you decide to support this charity?
KL: It's such an important cause that people do not understand. It's not ignorance, because they just don't know about it, so it's a lack of education. What I want to do is educate fans who will see these movies; use my platform, use my voice and go down there when I can. They are saving these apes who are being trafficked and sold for their meat. They are going to be extinct in 20 or 30 years at the rate they are going. There is bad going on everywhere and what this organisation is doing is trying to stop the poaching, stop the trading, provide these animals their environment, and educate people, let them know what's going on and how they can help. It's a small fund right now, so the more backers we get, I am proud to be part of it, I am proud of everything they are doing. That's why I am glad... It's reflective [of ‘Tarzan'] and it's great to have organisations like this who stand behind what we are doing with the movie and we can stand behind them. It's very complimentary.

TARZAN is now showing in Irish cinemas

Source: NME via: kellanlutzonline



image host image host image host image host image host image host

Tweets from Journalist who interviewed Kellan in Dublin: 
  • Hangin with #Tarzan who was twerking when I arrived into the room! He's very gd at it in fairness @kellanlutz @FM104 
  • You Tarzan (@kellanlutz). Me ... Sarina (just doesn't sound the same). Hear our chat on Saturday's @spin1038 #PlanB. 
  • Chats with #KellanLutz for @irelandAMTV3
  • Me and the very friendly @KellanLutz. That's me on the left. (entertainment.ie)
  • Having the bants with @Kellanlutz #babe (RTE)
Source: press 1-2-3-4-5-6


Fan Pic of Kellan in Dublin: "Damn @kellanlutz looks soooo good today!"

No comments:

Post a Comment