Sunday, November 4, 2012

Kristen's Interviews from the LA 'On the Road' Premiere (November 3, 2012)

 
USA Today
 
Kristen Stewart had a blockbuster weekend.

The actress spent Saturday at the press junket for The Twilight Saga:Breaking Dawn, Part 2, and at night, after a quick change into a white cut-out Balenciaga cropped tank and high-waisted trousers, walked the red carpet for her indie film On the Road. Amy Adams, Garrett Hedlund and director Walter Salles were also on hand at Grauman's Chinese theater to debut the film (due out Dec. 21) at the AFI Fest 2012.

It was a heavy load, but you'd never know it from talking to Stewart, who will premiere Part 2 in just a week. She walked the press line calm, collected and friendly. Not even a stray piece of double-sided tape stuck to her top fazed her when a publicist stepped in to remove it halfway down the red carpet.

"Somebody wore this before me?" she joked, in mock horror.

Her good mood continued at the Audi SkyLounge after-party at the Roosevelt Hotel, where she arrived — more casual now, in jeans, flats and a black leather bomber jacket — with Robert Pattinson. Both sported wide smiles, and the pair hung out with friends until well after midnight.

On the red carpet, Stewart shared some insight about what drew her to the film adaptation of the infamous Jack Kerouac tale. The actress first read the novel at 15, and said the lessons it held stayed with her.

"I had the exact same feeling that I had when I was 15 that I did when I was like, 20," she said. "At that age you look up and realize that you have anything that you could ever possibly imagine very much within reach. And I still feel that way."

On the Road is a big departure for Stewart, whose character, Marylou, daringly explores sexuality, drug use and heartbreak over the course of a meandering cross-country road trip. Ask if she's leaning toward making more indies vs. big-budget blockbusters, and she'll tell you that the level of risk feels the same regardless.

"If you're working for reasons that drive me," she began, and then continued, "It's a shame, it's like, absolutely heartbreaking when you find yourself on a movie set that you don't find a commonality with the director and the cast and all of that. It doesn't really matter what scale movie it is."

Her favorite road trip? "The one that I took right before I did On the Road, probably," she said. "We had to cram it into three days. I went to many diners." 

Wonderwall MSN

A rekindled romance with Robert Pattinson has done wonders for Kristen Stewart, who shined bright on the red carpet at the AFI Fest screening of "On the Road" presented by Audi at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, Calif., on Nov. 3. The 22-year-old actress showed off her toned midriff in a cleavage-baring Balenciaga pantsuit and black Christian Louboutin heels, and said she knew the outfit would turn heads.

"The first time I saw this thing, my jaw kind of hit the floor," Stewart told Wonderwall. "I've never seen anything like it."

Stewart was joined at the event by co-stars Garrett Hedlund and Amy Adams, and by Pattinson, who snuck into the after-party at the Roosevelt Hotel with Stewart after the two ate together at Public Kitchen while the film was running. During the party Pattinson chatted with friends, while Stewart talked to Adams and others from the film.

"On the Road" was a special film for Stewart, who found herself very connected to LuAnne Henderson, the real-life Marylou whom Stewart plays in the film.

"To be so aware of yourself and what you want, yet be so unaware of what other people think of you? You can have so much, you can live so rich," Stewart said of Henderson. "It's hard to explain, it's so ridiculous. So as soon as I read that, I thought I should find people like that in life so I can run after them."

As for her own road trip, Stewart says there are only a select few she'd travel with, but when they hit the road they'd be baggage free.

"I think it all depends on who you're with," she said. "There would only be a handful of people I would go [on a road trip with]. My circle is small. But if you have nothing it makes it more fun because you have to go find it."

  THR

 The long road came to an end with the world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May, and now the L.A. premiere at the AFI Film Fest 2012 on Saturday, Nov. 3, at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. In one of the most star-heavy events at the festival, Kristen Stewart, Garrett Hedlund, Amy Adams and Salles all attended.

Stewart, who will wrap up her duties as the lead in the Twilight film series with the release of the final film this month, plays the free-spirited MaryLou in On the Road.

“We were allowed to know so much about the people who stood behind the characters,” the actress, wearing a black and white Balenciaga jumpsuit, told The Hollywood Reporter on the red carpet before the premiere.

While Stewart walked the red carpet solo on Saturday, she was joined by her Twilight co-star (and current beau) Robert Pattinson at the AFI Fest afterparty at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. They mingled with friends and Stewart’s co-stars around a large fire pit near the pool area.

Stewart says that Salles enrolled the main actors in a four-week “beatnik bootcamp” of rehearsals before shooting the film. Stewart’s character in the book was based on Kerouac’s friend Luanne Henderson, and Stewart got to spend a lot of time talking to Henderson’s daughter while researching the role.

“We were allowed to know things about her that people do not know,” she tells THR. “I think as soon as you know the people who inspired those characters, everything makes so much more sense. It’s not the easiest thing to live that life. It takes a really particular person to carry that out.”

Stewart says she first read the book when she was 14 or 15, and it’s been a pivotal piece of literature in her life.

“She definitely helped me break down a few walls,” Stewart said of playing MaryLou. “But I think that project actually started when I read the book.”

“At the time, there was no way I could ever possibly imagine that I could play a part like that,” she added. “I thought that the characters in On the Road were people I wanted to be able to find in my own life. I wanted to find people who really stirred me up and kept me moving and kept me pushing. And she’s that type of that person."

Walter Salles Talks About Kristen

“I think Kristen likes to play these roles that defy the circumstances that somehow define the time you’re living in,” the Brazilian director adds. “She did that very bravely and with complete passion and dedication.”

 Extra TV



 Indiewire



Clevver TV



AP



Daily Mail UK 



On the Red Carpet


E News


  
Cambio



"I think everyone was really happy it took a few years for the movie to get made," she said. "I haven't really [warned] them...my mom came to Cannes-she loved it and was really proud. I haven't talked to my dad about it yet really."

"It's easy to be mature about it, and place it in a context and feel protective of it," the 22 year old Twilight star added.

In fact, Kristen added that Welcome to the Rileys was probably more difficult for her parents to watch.

"I was so overtly sensitive about anything to do with-not overtly sexual-just anything about a young girl," Kristen said about Rileys. "It rocked me and I think my parents could feel that as well."

”I really had to dig pretty deep to find it in me to play a person like Marylou. It took a long time,” Kristen, 22, told us Monday. “I couldn’t say no- I would have done anything on the movie. It was easy to connect the dots after having gotten to know the person behind the character and what you would need to pull off a lifestyle like that. That didn’t happen until deep in the rehearsal process.”

“At first I was attracted to the spirit of it,” Kristen continued. “I’m the type of person-I need to be pushed really hard to be able to let it all hang. I think Marylou is the type of person you can’t help but be yourself around.”

Talked with Kristen after about TV shows she's into- curious to check out American Horror Story doesn't think it will be scary enough...but we agreed it's great b/c original. Says she prefers movies to TV to escape.

E Online

When it comes to movie roles, Kristen Stewart gets the best of both worlds. When she's not taking on box office juggernauts like The Twilight Saga or Snow White and the Huntsman, she's biting into meaty roles in indies like Welcome to the Rileys, The Runaways and now On the Road.

So does Bella Swan herself ever want to just kick back and do a rom-com?

"Um, I guess so," Kristen told us at the AFI special screening of On the Road. "I don't know what I want to do until it's right in front of me. I feel like if I knew what story I wanted to tell, I'd be directing it. I don't think very tactfully."

The actress, who killed on the carpet in a black and white Balenciaga number, continued, "It takes such a particular thing to want to play a part. It's a really very strange thing to do, to pretend to be someone else and let other people watch you do it. They need to feel like real people, they need to feel like somebody that you need to be responsible for. So when I see that, I'm down."

Something she clearly saw in On the Road's free-spirited Marylou: "She was the type of person that was like a bottomless pit. You couldn't take too much, she was always getting just as much back from you," K.Stew explained to us. "That's a really rare person. She wasn't special because she was ahead of her time and it was a very conservative era, I think even now you'd be blown away by her."

And Kristen confesses that the timing of the movie couldn't have been more perfect. "Getting to know her and getting to know myself over the years," she said. "You know, I started thinking about this when I was like 17 and I ultimately did it when I was 20, it's good that those few years past."

She filled us in, "When you have the sense that you really cannot mess anything up, that [Salles] wants to see you mess up and that's actually what he would prefer…I think it's so much more interesting to watch somebody discover something rather than package it up and deliver it to you."

"It's weird, as soon as that weight [of Twilight] is lifted, you go, 'God! Can I have a little bit back?'" she told E! News at the On the Road premiere Sunday

"Twilight is a really phenomenal thing," she added, smiling at cheering fans across the street.

But as much as she loves vampires, vagabonds are pretty cool, too. "When I read [On the Road] for the first time, I was so young," she said. "I was like 15 years old—14 possibly. It changed me. For the rest of my life I will try and find those people that push you…Every character you want to like run after. I'm not necessarily that type of person, so I need to find people like that."

But at the end of a packed promotional tour (between Breaking Dawn and On the Road, K.Stew's been one busy lady), how does this 22-year-old girl relax? "It's pretty easy," she said. "Take the shoes off. It's kind of a done deal."
 
Sources: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 

No comments:

Post a Comment