Friday, November 23, 2012

Jackson's Interview with Flicks and Bits

What was the moment for you when you thought, “Wow, this ‘Twilight’ thing is going to be huge.” Do you remember that moment or what that thing was, or was it a series of things? Was there ever an inkling of that while filming the first movie?

Jackson Rathbone: It kind of just kept growing, in terms of that anticipation of what it might become. It was never the understanding straight away that, “Look at this, we’re going to be a part of this amazing franchise.” When we first signed on for ‘Twilight’ it was like joining a different take on a vampire story. Then as we were filming people started knocking on our doors and showing up, taking pictures of us. All of these fansites started popping up as well, fan fiction. You started thinking, “This is way different than other projects I’ve done! (Laughs) People haven’t even seen it yet!” And still, that didn’t really sink in until the premier, for me at least. Driving up with my family and seeing this amazing amount of people screaming and all of these reporters. I was out on the red carpet for like two and a half hours talking and signing autographs, taking pictures – it was intense.


How about you Jackson? As the films are going along, the audience getting to know more about Jasper, how satisfying was that for you?

Jackson Rathbone: It’s interesting, whenever I look for the characters I want to play, I always look for a development, I look for an arc. Playing a flat-line character is the most boring thing I can imagine – and I’ve done it, and I don’t like it. With Jasper, I looked at the series, the books, and there’s an opportunity to show a character who’s really a part of the landscape. He really helps the narrative form of this young girl, Bella, falling in love, getting swept up in this world of vampires. Jasper comes into play as this certain side of the vampires, he sort of straddles the line between the new vegetarian vampire way of life, with that animalistic, feral urge to drink human blood. Then to go to that to ‘New Moon’ where he almost kills her, then ‘Eclipse’ we get to see a little bit about his back-story. Then finally in ‘Breaking Dawn’ he’s relaxed.
It was nice, it’s really nice to make choices in the first film and know that you can justify those choices later, that you can show people like, “This is the reason I chose for him to stand this way. This is the reason I chose him to have these awkwardly painful expressions on his face.” (Laughs) Those were choices on ‘Twilight’ that I had to own and describe and explain to people over the course of the next films. It’s an interesting development with that character. I’ve loved playing Jasper over the years. I’m really grateful for Stephenie and her writing, to be able to step into a character so lush as I was able to do with Jasper.

Did you have a favourite moment in ’The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′? Was there something in particular that was fun to shoot or do?

Jackson Rathbone: Oh man, I do have a couple. There’s a really beautiful scene that Nikki has where she’s outside with the little baby, she has this expression that….in all the movies, it’s the most similar to Nikki’s personality that I’ve ever seen in these films. You get to see who Nikki Reed is in Rosalie for the first time, I think (laughs). That was a beautiful moment that I really loved. And then there’s the ending, that Bill Condon put together. Being a part of this series over a large part of my life – over half my life as a professional actor, it was amazing. That was really nice. I felt honoured and humbled at the same time.
Nikki Reed: From filming I felt such a weird connection to…I guess it’s just called being maternal, but I really love babies and I love children. I love being around them. So filming with Mackenzie Foy was just amazing, she’s so talented and she’s such a professional, and she’s such a child at the same time. She’s an innocent, normal child, I loved every second working with her.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment