Thursday, August 9, 2012

Sweet Letters to the Editor about Kristen in Vanity Fair Sept 2012 Issue



Fierce Beauty

I love how Sean Penn describes working with Kristen Stewart: "a perfect day--blue sky, blue ocean" ["Hollywood's Rebel Belle," by Ingrid Sisehy, July]. How often is someone described in such a way? 

I've admired this young actress, marveling at her talent and maturity, all the while crossing my fingers that she'll survive the Hollywood machine intact. And I've worried that her use of curse words could affect her ability to develop into a Hollywood powerhouse--something for which she seems well suited. But she's determined to make her own rules, blue language to and all. While I wait for the crass linguistic fashion to pass, I can look forward to watching Stewart's career unfold.

- Christine Burch



I once sent a request in the mail for an autographed photo from Kristen Stewart. I received one back. It was signed "Sketch, Greetings from L.A., My Best, Kristen." This was in 2005, a time when she was not that well known.

What I like best about Stewart is that she's very involved with the effort that creating films demands; it renders her an honest performer. She is among the handful of people--famous and pedestrian--I would actually like to meet and talk with about films, literature, and art. The variety of roles and chances she takes on is fantastic. I can't wait for her to write and direct.

-Sketch Bourque


Kimberly Koppen, of Chicago, thinks "it's refreshing to see an actress be so bluntly honest at the risk of making herself unappealing," which sounds (mostly, anyways) like a compliment. 

And Adria Reyes writes from El Paso, Texas, to say that " Kristen is truly different. She's raw, honest, and unwilling to compromise who she is just so everyone will love her."





 Adria Reyes (@adria_r) Letter to Vanity Fair about Kristen Stewart in its entirety:
I just know there will be criticisms about your July cover girl Kristen Stewart. There always is. Never in my young life have I seen an actress get so much negativity thrown at her. I have read many, many interviews with Kristen Stewart and none of them have really discussed what it is about the young star that has people up in arms.
Until now.
In the first paragraph of her article, Ingrid Sischy pointed out what it is about Kristen that people find so fascinating and infuriating. Kristen is different, truly different. She isn’t a carbon copy of the present crop of starlets that have perfect hair, perfect clothes and perfect answers to every one’s questions. She’s raw, honest and unwilling to compromise who she is just so everyone will love her. She is a true role model, especially to young girls who think they have to lose who they are in order to become successful.
So people, say what you want about Ms. Stewart, I’m sure she doesn’t care either way, but I for one do care enough to praise her for being brave enough to be herself. If I had had someone like her to look up to in high school, perhaps I wouldn’t cringe so much when I remember what I did and said just to fit in with the popular crowd.
Adria Reyes
El Paso, TX


Stewart effortlessly rises above the panoply of pea-brained starlets with whom she appears in the tabloids, Ingrid Sischy's portrayal of the actress aptly displays Stewart's talent, intelligence, and self-awareness. Her persona, like that of her equally bright and fair-skinned peer Rooney Mara, is often misunderstood as being cold or aloof; I was happy to see this myth debunked in your magazine.

-Maura Pagano

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment