Wednesday, April 16, 2014

New Kellan Interview: 'Expendables 3' Bulgarian Press Conference


When Stallone enters the conference room we've assembled in, you can tell he's exhausted, a trait that he shares with his character Barney Ross in the storyline for The Expendables 3. As the film opens, Barney's actually considering wrapping it all up, which is why there are so many younger faces in the cast this time around.

"Barney wants to retire them," Kellan Lutz says about the film's original crew. "They're getting old, so he wants to come after some new blood, wants them to think smarter. The younger generation is more tech savy."

In a coincidentally meta way, Lutz's comments on how the "new crew" gets connected into the plot of the film similarly reflect the real life reasons that the cast was added to the movie.

"Our stories, by and large, have been pretty much told," Stallone said. "So now we have to branch out and investigate other people's lives. You can only have so many times you go to that well and after a while you say, 'I'm sick of the taste of this water, give me something else.' Well you bring in a new spring and that's exactly what's happening, you have to do it all the time."

Lutz plays the role of Smilee in the film, the defacto leader of these "Young Expendables," and a character he says feels a lot like the young version of Stallone's Barney Ross. 

"There's a scene that Sly and I have that he really gets through to me, when I have such a front on, and he actually speaks the lingo that I need to hear. As much as I throw him back and say F*ck off, he really gets to me and makes sense about what I'm doing with my life."


Of all the newcomers added to Expendables, none of them have had quite the journey of getting into the film as Lutz who went in for an audition for a role in the very first film back in 2010.

"They were looking for a younger guy, a young expendable," Lutz recalled. "Just one, to compliment the rest of the cast....I auditioned for it, Sly loved what I did, loved my look. He actually called my agent and said that he loved me. Then we were waiting on it and I was really excited, I loved the script, it would be a dream to work with all those guys, Jason Statham, Dolph, Sly, and then I guess the character got written out, they just had so many characters for that first one that they ended up not using my character."

That character would go on to become Liam Hemsworth's Billy in The Expendables 2, which Lutz was unable to participate in due to filming the second "Twilight" movie.

Despite facing a new breed of challenges on The Expendables 3, Director Hughes handled the job with ease as the cast was quick to compliment his style on the picture and his abilitiy to handle the mammoth production.

"So many times in the past I've tried to find start up directors," Stallone recalled. "And have been grossly disappointed. Things happen, under the pressure you buckle... He's very specific, he knows what he wants, he's not going to let everyone go, 'oh, you say what you want to say,' he's very specific about it. He's gonna be a great one."

"I would never have guessed that, honestly," Kellan Lutz said regarding the film being Hughes' second feature. "On previous movies I've seen it time and time again where you have such an all-star cast like that and you get a first time director, you know he's not directing, they just need a face to do the hard work and then have some A-list actor say, 'This is what I'm going to do, you shoot it like this.' There was none of that at all... Sly picked him for a reason."


Source: comingsoon via: klutzonline

No comments:

Post a Comment