Thursday, January 9, 2014

Kellan Talks about Expendables 3 & The Legend of Hercules


Director Renny Harlin’s THE LEGEND OF HERCULES is the origin story of the titular Greek demi-god. Loved by his mother Queen Alcmene (Roxanne McKee), hated by his father King Amphitryon (Scott Adkins), and locked in both an intense bout of sibling rivalry with his fully mortal older brother Iphicles (Liam Garrigan) and romance with his brothers’ flaxen-haired fiancée Hebe (Gaia Weiss), the hunky crusader uncovers his life’s purpose: to lead a rebellion against his father that engages the Heavens and Earth.
We (along with a few other reporters) got the chance to speak to the incredibly kind and charismatic actor about everything from his diet and exercise routine, to how he got his gig on EXPENDABLES 3, to which celebrity’s career path he wants to follow.
Q: What was your diet and exercise prep work like for this film?
Preparing for HERCULES, I had to learn how to ride a horse very quickly. That really works your legs – my legs have never been so big because your squeezing into the saddle. And your abdominals. My stepmother had one of those horse workout saddles where you had to ride it. My brain thought it was just so sexual. (laughs) She actually gave me that thing! It’s in my storage unit. I’d rather snowboard or play basketball than be in a gym – that’s my preference. I enjoyed riding the horse and fighting with the sword. Liam McIntyre, who’s an amazing man at heart, he’s already got two years under his belt wielding those double swords. I came to him, humbly and said, ‘Please, teach me your ways.’ We’d play fight. He taught me to draw lines on the mirror and act like I’m killing myself. When your doing phantom shots – slow motion shots – you want to make sure your lines are as straight as possible. When you have the real blade, because the fake one wobbles, you have to keep a straight line. That worked out my arms. I would do push-ups – I love push-ups. You see that instant plump. I wound up doing about a thousand a day. I also adapted the Paleo diet. It really made me more healthy and stay sick-free because I had to push. I started shrinking and looking tight. It was hard deleting candy from my system because I love it.
VeryAware: Did you have to keep up that same workout regimen for EXPENDABLES 3?
For EXPENDABLES, you’re working with all these guys – all these legends. And I’m taller than most of them! So I’m trying to like slouch in pictures. Trying to honor them and not stand out. Even Sly was like ‘Stop working out.’ ‘Yes, sir!’ I’m skinny now because of EXPENDABLES. All the guys were super cool and legendary to work with. There was no type-A personalities on board. Everyone was just there to make a great movie.
Q: Which movie had Sly seen you in to cast you in EXPENDABLES?
His girls saw TWILIGHT. His girls are Sly’s casting directors. But also Sly watched ARENA and told me he really loved what I did in ARENA and I’m very proud of that movie as well.
Q: Was the lion all CGI or was there any practical effects used on-set?
They spent all this money building a head – an animatronic head. They had one guy in the head moving it around. Another guy on joystick opening the mouth and moving the eyes. Another guy being a claw and another being another claw. So I’m wrestling this thing and I’m wrestling four people on real rocks. It’s just eating the crap out of my shoulder. I’m just trying to wrestle this thing that will never die. Blood is just going to my head and I’m like, ‘Renny! He’s dead! He’s really dead!’
Q: Did you keep anything from the set?
I kept my sword. I kept the Queen’s sword. I kept my amulet. I kept my fighting gear.
Q: Were there a lot of CGI sets or were there practical ones?
There were a lot of practical ones. Our set dresser blew me away. Most all the shots had practical sets. Then that amphitheater – that was all built there. The mud pit – there was no CGI there. Only the spikes where the snakes were was CGI – We had that whole arena. In the other arena, we built three stories. In the movie, it goes up twenty-five stories.
Q: You played the god Poseidon in IMMORTALS and now a demi-god. Is there another god or demi-god you’d like to play?
I love Ares. I just love his story and the god of war. I haven’t really played a bad god yet. It would be fun to do that.
Q: What was the most difficult scene for you?
I was so well prepared for this movie. But the funniest part was wearing the skirt. I was very comfortable. But you’re wearing this skirt and fighting and my stuff came out quite a bit. At first, you’re a bit awkward because you don’t notice it in the moment. I’m flying and it’s just out there. Double swords!
VeryAware: Obviously, you are naturally funny. Do you think you want to do more comedy or are you more comfortable in action hero mode for now?
I started doing comedy. I just love Matt Damon’s career where he plays these Jason Bourne superheroes but also he’s hilarious in OCEAN’S movies then he does his dramas like WE BOUGHT A ZOO. So I really want to emulate his career.
THE LEGEND OF HERCULES opens on January 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment